Sunday, June 1, 2014

By the Sea

June's theme for the Reader Art Quest at Unruly Paper Arts is "By the Sea". I love all things beach related and I knew right away what I wanted to create! But before I tell you about my project, I want to let you know that if you link up a beach project of your own, you may win the fabulous prize shown below!

The image I used on my project is from Gecko Galz and has long been a favorite of mine. She is from a collage sheet called Sea Side Beauties. I began with this image, which led me to a blue and orange color combo.

I sized the image in Photoshop to 3.25" x 5", fussy cut it and then inked the edges. She was pop dotted to a 6" x 8" burlap canvas. Next I stamped a shell (Stampin' Up) in Salty Ocean distress ink and a starfish (Stampin' Up) in Ripe Persimmon distress ink onto white cardstock and cut them out. Now I was ready to add my embellishments. I swirled some blue and green twine onto the canvas, pop dotted my stamped images and another shell and seahorse (K & Co.). Finally, I sprinkled on teal, green and gold sequins (Lawn Fawn) and a small bottle filled with sand.

I found the word "Story" in my stash and added it. The metal letters that I used to spell the word "her" were a dark gold color and didn't show well on the burlap so I painted them with acrylic paint (Beach Glass by Martha Stewart).

Join us "By the Sea" this month at Unruly Paper Arts!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Your burlap canvas piece is amazing Joan. Love that Gecko Galz swimmer and all your embellishments!